French 18th Century court dress – Part 4

Once the bodice was done, I was in the home stretch for the gown!

Firstly, it needed more support in the undergarments. I changed the petticoat to have quilted panels down the bottom to better support the weight of the skirt. The quilted fabric I got from the charity fabric shop, it reeked heavily of mothballs and had to be washed thoroughly to get the smell out.

After that I managed to finish the dress relatively quickly once I got the fabric, all in all I estimate about 15 metres of jacquard fabric went into this dress!

At this stage I still have a little way to go, need some more metallic trim and I need the proper stays (corset) to properly finish it off. I will post more when I have more updates about the construction of the stays.

 

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *